[Haskell-cafe] anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 19:49:26 EST 2008

On 1/28/08, Jeremy Apthorp <nornagon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/01/2008, Tim Chevalier <catamorphism at gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Haskell", stress on the first syllable; the first syllable is like
> > the word "has" and the second syllable is pronounced with a schwa
> > where the "e" is written.
> >
> > Sometimes you will hear people stress the second syllable, but that is
> > not Preferred.
> >

> "Hass" (like in "hassle") "kell" (to rhyme with "fell")

That is not correct. The second syllable does not rhyme with "fell".
In fact, the correct pronunciation sounds like "hassle" with a 'k'
inserted between the two syllables of that word.

(And when I say it's not correct, I'm comparing to the speech of a few
People Who Should Know.)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"pointing out ridiculous attitudes about every actual thing in the