[Haskell-cafe] Upgrading ByteString causes (seemingly) impossible RTS linker errs

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Sun Jan 27 15:54:25 EST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 12:24 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> It should be possible to specify that your lib depends on exactly
> 0.9.0.1 in the .cabal file.

In the same general area. When you upgrade something like bytestring
and have to update everything that was built with it (otherwise you'll
get type errors because the ByteString types from the two different
versions are different) cabal-install is of no help. Since it already
believes that I have those packages installed (correctly) if refuses
to install them again so I have to do it all by hand.

I realise that I should be sending darcs patches, not bug reports, but
a --force to reinstall an already installed package would be great. I
guess, ideally, cabal-install would know to rebuild everything that
depends on x when I upgrade x.

darcs patches might follow if I can get round to it (or the next time
I update bytestring...)

Adam Langley                                      agl at imperialviolet.org
http://www.imperialviolet.org                       650-283-9641