[Haskell-cafe] Re: Generic permutations with high performance

Cetin Sert cetin.sert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 18:00:51 EST 2008

Hello again Ryan,

I have found out where to import those stuff from and tested your more
elegant suggestion and my original performance.

--     print ((length ∘ pmsO [0,1]) 24) 9~  seconds
--     print ((length ∘ pmsE [0,1]) 24) 23~ seconds
--     print ((length ∘ pmsU [0,1]) 24) 23~ seconds

-- O: original, E: elegant, U: unreadable

I prefer performance over elegance (and for me using monads almost feels
like adding an unnecessary dependency to the definition of pms. Though I
know I may be dead wrong on that. I just don't quite understand monads yet.)

I would love to have you and/or others suggest more performant versions of
pms (and maybe also come up with a better name for it).

mnt :: [a] → [[a]] → [[a]]
mnt (x:xs) yss = map (x:) yss ++ mnt xs yss

pms :: [a] → Int → [[a]]
pms _  0  = [[]]
pms xxs n = mnt xxs (pms xxs (n - 1))

I generalized 'pms' from the 'bools' function on page 108 of Programming in
Haskell (Hutton, 2007)

-- Cetin Sert