The programming language market (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Why functional programming matters

Dipankar Ray dipankar at jfet.net
Sat Jan 26 16:16:38 EST 2008

Jerzy,

this is a very interesting point you bring up, from my perspective.

I should point out that certain US-trained mathematicans (myself included)
are actually quite jealous of the Russian math education system - they
produce mathematicians who tend to be excellent in depth and breadth, who
are both great computationally and in terms of facility with abstract
formalism. Kontsevich, Drinfel'd, Gromov, Givental, Beilinson, the whole
Gelfan'd school - these people are incredible on all fronts.

When I was an undergrad math major in the US, there was a clear culture of
valueing proofs over computation. Integrals were sneered at; the more
abstract the argument, the more representative of "true mathematics" it
surely must be.

Now that I'm older I recognize that this is a special case of the
teenager's way of declaring himself special: "I'm *better* than those
idiot physicists who are so trivial as to care about integrals". Could be
a recent convert to jazz talking about rock, or whatever.

Anyway, no we're older, and we realize that it would have helped our math
understanding out quite a bit had we learned more physics, engineering,
etc. Or had we learned 19th century mathematics well. The Russian program
seems to do this, actually (at least for the sample set of kids that make
it to the US).

What you're telling me below is that part of this emphasis on old-world
mathematics might have come from an arrogance/bias against computers?
Interesting - I'll have to think about this.

I've often heard from my Eastern European colleagues that they learned
almost nothing about computer science back home...