[Haskell-cafe] hxt memory useage

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Sat Jan 26 06:43:35 EST 2008

Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:

> So this is a request for an xml-light based on lazy bytestrings, designed
> for speed at all costs?

Yes, I suppose it is.  (For certain values of "all costs".)

For "industrial" use, I think it is important to have better
performance, ideally approaching disk and network speeds, and support
large documents without excessive memory consumption.  This probably
means that strict, whole-document trees (DOM-like) must be optional.

I think a good approach would be a TagSoup-like (SAX-like) lazy
ByteString parser, with more advanced features (checking for
well-formedness, building a tree structure, validation, namespace
support..) layered on top.

These days, there is a lot of XML around, so solid and performant XML
processing could be another step in missing our stated mission goal of
avoiding success at all costs.

-k