[Haskell-cafe] Evolutionary Computing

Paulo Tanimoto tanimoto at arizona.edu
Thu Jan 24 22:30:03 EST 2008

Have you seen Koza's Genetic Programming as well?

His original implementation was in Lisp, but I think it can be done
elegantly in Haskell as well, perhaps with the advantage of static
typing.

Hmm, I just found this:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GPLib

I also found a paper on something called PolyGP:
http://www.cs.mun.ca/~tinayu/index_files/addr/public_html/pgp.new.pdf

Whether mathematically reasonable or not, I think EC works well in
practice but within some limits.  A few "inventions" and "discoveries"
have been done through it, and there are certainly lots of interesting
uses out there in optimization.  But after a few years it seems that
EC is not the panacea that enthusiasts promised in the past.  It often
involves quite a lot of work setting up, takes long time to converge
to something, whereas other simpler methods can give similar/better
results, just because you can apply your knowledge more directly.

But I must say I don't have much practical experience with them
myself.  Mostly reading other people's work.

Paulo

PS: Check this out too, mentioning Sean Luke's work:
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds4-3/robocup.html