[Haskell-cafe] hxt memory useage

Matthew Pocock matthew.pocock at ncl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 14:17:33 EST 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008, Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> Matthew Pocock wrote:
> > I've been using hxt to process xml files. Now that my files are getting a
> > bit bigger (30m) I'm finding that hxt uses inordinate amounts of memory.
> > I have 8g on my box, and it's running out. As far as I can tell, this
> > memory is getting used up while parsing the text, rather than in any
> > down-stream processing by xpickle.
> >
> > Is this a known issue?
>
> Yes, hxt calls parsec, which is not incremental.
>
> haxml offers the choice of non-incremental parsers and incremental
> parsers. The incremental parsers offer finer control (and therefore also
> require finer control).

I've got a load of code using xpickle, which taken together are quite an
investment in hxt. Moving to haxml may not be very practical, as I'll have to
find some eqivalent of xpickle for haxml and port thousands of lines of code
over. Is there likely to be a low-cost solution to convincing hxt to be
incremental that would get me out of this mess?

Matthew