[Haskell-cafe] Draft chapters of "Real World Haskell" now publicly available

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Thu Jan 24 06:56:46 EST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2008 10:53 schrieben Sie:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > Covering reactive programming would indeed be interesting.
> >
> > I want to add that there is no single way for doing reactive programming
> > in Haskell.  There is Conal’s stuff, there is Yampa and there is “my”
> > stuff (Grapefruit [1]) whereby the pros and cons of these approaches
> > differ.  (And there is plenty of other stuff which doesn’t seem to be
> > actively developed, like, for example, FranTk.)
>
> Doesn't that count for everything? I've been doing imperative & OO
> programming for more than 2 decades, and every technique has its pros
> and cons, it's what makes the job hard, picking the right choices, which
> is (in my case) often more a matter of taste and "it worked before" than
> good reasoning.

Yes, of course.  I just hadn’t recognized that you had also mentioned Yampa,
and wanted to point out that besides Conal’s stuff there are further
approaches to reactive programming in Haskell.

> […]

> Gtk2HS can hardly be called pure functional programming can it? It is IO
> and monads everywhere.

Indeed.  A functional approach to GUIs is nice but at the moment we don’t have
anything that is suitable for solving real world problems (although this is
being worked on).

> […]

> I haven't looked at Grapefruit yet (actually I don't like fruit, but I
> like vegetables, so lucky me ;-).

The working name for Grapefruit was Vegetables, by the way. ;-)

> I will certainly do so. Any interesting links?

The most interesting link is <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Grapefruit> at
the moment—since it’s the only one. ;-)  Note that, in contrast to the last
months, this page now links to an up-to-date API documentation.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Best wishes,
Wolfgang