[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why functional programming matters

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:37:06 EST 2008

On 1/23/08, Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Other things did not seem that great for me from the beginning. For
> example: referential transparency - just enforces what you can take care
> not to do yourself

...if you never make mistakes, that is.

> (e.g. in C# you just cannot be sure some function is
> referentially transparent even when comment claims so - which of course
> sucks because programmers are not disciplined).

But if that's the point you're trying to make, I agree that a lot of
programmers seem to think they don't make mistakes, and thus might not
be receptive to the siren song of referential transparency :-)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"You never have to aspire to difficulty, darling. It arrives,