[Haskell-cafe] Re: [darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre3

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Wed Jan 23 10:53:09 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:26:51PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> > We are happy to announce the third prerelease version of darcs 2! Darcs 2
> > features numerous improvements, and it seems that we have fixed most of the
> > regressions, so we're looking for help, from users willing to try this
> > release out. Read below, to see how you can benefit from this new release,
> > and how you can help us to make the final darcs 2 release the best ever!
> >
> > The third prerelease features (apart from numerous bug and performance
> > regression fixes) a completely rewritten rollback command and new
> > progress-reporting functionality. If darcs takes more than a couple of
> > seconds for a given operation and provides you with no feedback as to what
> > it's up to, let us know, so we can fine-tune the progress-reporting output!
> The progress reporting is fantastic!  It's worth upgrading to darcs2 just
> for that :-)

Thanks! I've enjoyed it myself, actually...

> ... Although the progress reporting doesn't appear to work quite as well
> on darcs-1 repositories as it does on darcs-2 repositories - is that
> expected?

No, it's not really expected, but the progress reporting is rather hastily
thrown together, so it's not surprising, either.  Basically I first
converted the existing progress-reporting code (which reported getting
patches with darcs get, and applying them in a few other instances), and
then started throwing in progress annotations in other spots until my
couple of test commands and the ones I normally use seemed to be pretty
snappy (I'm not sure what the right word for a lack of delays in

> There are still times when I see nothing happening, for example in the
> unpull test on the GHC repo (see previous messages), the last progress
> message I get is
> Reading patches in /64playpen/simonmar/ghc-darcs2 17040
> and it sits there for 7-8 seconds before completing.  Does this maybe shed
> any light on why this unpull is 2 times slower than darcs1?

Hmmm.  I'll take a look.  This is basically equivalent to something like

darcs obliterate --last 400 -a

I believe? The ghc repo definitely stresses different parts of darcs,
because of its large size (which means you often have the privilege of
reporting poor behavior).
David Roundy
Department of Physics
Oregon State University