[Haskell-cafe] Has character changed in GHC 6.8?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jan 23 08:11:26 EST 2008

On 1/23/08, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

My proposal is for I/O functions to specify the encoding they use if
> they accept or return Chars (and Strings). If they deal in terms of
> bytes (e.g. socket functions) they should accept and return Word8s.
> Optionally, text I/O functions could default to the system locale
> setting.

Yes, this reflects my recent experience, Char is not a good representation
for an 8-bit byte.  This thread came out of my attempt to add a module to
dataenc[1] that would make base64-string[2] obsolete.  As you probably can
guess I came to the conclusion that a function for data encoding with type
'String -> String' is plain wrong. :-)

/M

[1]:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/dataenc-0.10.2