[Haskell-cafe] Re: An idea - Feasibility and effort

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Jan 23 07:57:25 EST 2008

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Some also have location in the TXT field in DNS (Sometimes called an
> ICBM record).  I think 'xt(raceroute)' uses this.

Actually, this is not a property of DNS. Blocks of
IP numbers are assigned to specific countries, who
give them out to their ISPs. The top-level rules are in

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1466.html

but there is not much detail there. Google points
to various sites that have collected much more
information and made it available for free or for
pay. I don't know much about them.

-Yitz