[Haskell-cafe] Draft chapters of "Real World Haskell" now publicly available

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Jan 22 19:54:52 EST 2008

Am Dienstag, 22. Januar 2008 15:58 schrieb Peter Verswyvelen:
> Wow, the full TOC looks very impressive indeed! Maybe add a chapter
> about reactive programming (Yampa and Conal's latest stuff that I don't
> understand yet) too? :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Covering reactive programming would indeed be interesting.

I want to add that there is no single way for doing reactive programming in
Haskell.  There is Conal’s stuff, there is Yampa and there is “my” stuff
(Grapefruit [1]) whereby the pros and cons of these approaches differ.  (And
there is plenty of other stuff which doesn’t seem to be actively developed,
like, for example, FranTk.)

Also note that reactive programming in Haskell is not as mature as, for
instance, GUI programming with Gtk2Hs.  So it might not be wise to add a
chapter on it now. Maybe in the second version of the book. :-)

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

[1] <http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Grapefruit>