[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hangman game

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Tue Jan 22 09:41:02 EST 2008

Achim Schneider wrote:
> What about carrying a list of Strings inside the State?

Right, I think you need that if the word list can be reloaded,
or selected at run time.

> Write a RandomGen and Random instance that return some
> dictionary file in random order.

Whoa, I don't think we need to go that far. But good idea
to extract out selecting the random word into a separate
function. Later on you may want to change how that works,
e.g., you may use larger word lists and switch to reading
the word each time from a file. So this function should
return the word in your monad.

Changing the probability distribution sounds like a stretch,
I can't think of too many games where you would ever want
to do that at run time. In a game with real-time feedback,
you may want to fiddle with the generator for speed reasons.

Regards,
Yitz