[Haskell-cafe] functional graphs

Benja Fallenstein benja.fallenstein at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 06:13:49 EST 2008

Hi Christian,

On Jan 21, 2008 10:57 AM, Christian Maeder <Christian.Maeder at dfki.de> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out this proposal. The actual problem is mkGraph
> that needs all the many edges created beforehand (that's what I wanted
> to avoid).

Well, uh, at the risk of being obvious, if you can avoid using fgl
functions that call mkGraph, then there is nothing to say that mkGraph
has ever to be called, and conversely, if you must use fgl functions
that call mkGraph, then there is no way to avoid the fact that it gets
the edge labels in a list... :-)

A quick grep of the library shows that use of mkGraph is very rare. I
haven't chased down the uses of functions that call mkGraph, though,
so I don't really know whether many or few functions use mkGraph
internally. Of course, you can use (mkGraph = error "mkGraph") and see
whether you trip over it at all.

Best,
- Benja