[Haskell-cafe] Throwback of inferred types

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 16:02:04 EST 2008

On 2008.01.19 19:11:13 +0100, Peter Verswyvelen <bf3 at telenet.be> scribbled 1.4K characters:
> The problem is that this only works when the complete source file compiles
> correctly no?

Yes. As I said, it's a very hackish solution - think of it as proof-of-concept.

> I would find it most useful to get type inference information on the fly,
> even when not all of the code compiles correctly yet.

Does that make sense? If the code doesn't compile, then how could any type-inference be trustable? It might be reliable if the error is in definitions which don't get called or otherwise used by the function you are asking after, but there are going to be edge-cases, I should think, where it would bite you.

--
gwern
Freeh ASU 32 CIO GGL Force 97 b in Macintosh