[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why purely in haskell?

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Jan 18 20:38:24 EST 2008

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr wrote:
>> Personally, I loathe the existence of NaN and +-Infinity in floating
>> point types.
>
> I conclude that you live far from the numeric world. But I was raised as
> physicist, and without them, the implementation of several algorithms
> would be extremely difficult.

Hm. Can you give an example? (A web link, maybe to a paper or some, such
would be enough).

I am asking because I am used to calculating with infinity from integration
theory where the rationale is similar: formulation of most of the basic
theorems would loose a lot of its elegance if the 'infinite case' had to be
handled explicitly.

Cheers
Ben