[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: HStringTemplate -- An Elegant, Functional, Nifty Templating Engine for Haskell

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 00:55:24 EST 2008

Graham,
   I'm sort of playing fast and loose with referential transparency
here, as I actually am with stringTemplateFileGroup as well. They
both use unsafeIO to do what they want, and in corner cases could
give silly, though not dangerous results (i.e., in the sense of being
hazardous to your program, these calls are substantially less
worrisome than head). stringTemplateFileGroup could conceivably be in
IO, if it was strict in reading all the files in the directory it was
passed, but cacheSTGroup would force every access to a group to take
place in IO, which would make the library somewhat of a pain to work
with. My semi-justification for this is that its referentially-
transparent-enough for most use cases, in that just about the only
thing one would be doing with a StringTemplate result would be
outputting it again in some form anyway. In my experience, being able
to "hot-edit" templates for a live app is a key benefit of a
templating system, and forcing everything into IO to get that seems
like an undue burden on end-users.

On the other hand, I'm also open to implementing an IO API that's
safe and renaming the current functions to something somewhat
scarier, or moving both them and their IO equivs to distinct modules
so that end users could choose which to import. A number of options
seem reasonable here.

--Sterl.

(btw, I fixed the typo you emailed me about in the repo, and also
made a few other changes I documented at http://
fmapfixreturn.wordpress.com/)