[Haskell-cafe] Re: Compiling Blobs

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Thu Jan 17 15:55:24 EST 2008

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> However I'm using GHC 6.8.2 on Fedora 8. BTW what do you think is the
> best distro for doing Haskell development?

they all suck if you want to be able to try/use the latest stuff, in my
experience; just install a GHC and cabal stuff in your home directory
(you can install more than one GHC-version there if you want to test
things with multiple versions...).  There's a semi-good reason for this:
distros don't like to package broken things, and usually something
breaks with each different version of GHC, but not necessarily something
you're relying on, and as you're doing Haskell development you may be
able to help fix it.

so that is, you compile (configure) things with --prefix=$HOME (or
--prefix=$HOME/unix or so if you don't like your home-directory being
cluttered with names like "bin", "lib" etc.).  and when using cabal you
also, if it's a system-wide-installed ghc, need to give --user when
configuring.  And then you add "whatever-you-put-for-prefix/bin" to your
path, e.g. in ~/.bashrc adding
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
so that the programs (ghc, happy, alex, xmonad, whatever) will be found
if you want to run them.

Did I leave anything important out?

now, there might be a distro system that actually worked well for this.
Maybe in a couple years and once cabal-install is reasonably stable,
some unconventional distro like GoboLinux or NixOS might meet my
standards :-)

~Isaac