[Haskell-cafe] Yi editor tutorial

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 01:54:08 EST 2008

Your Yi editor tutorial looks like a fascinating idea,
but I use Mac OS X (10.2.8 Jaguar, soon to be upgraded
to 10.5.x Leopard) at home, and Windows XP at work,
while your tutorial is based on Ubuntu and the bash
shell.

A few questions:

1) Do you have any versions of your Yi tutorial for
Mac OS X or Windows XP; if not, are there any plans
for such tutorials in the future?

2) On your tutorial top page
(http://nobugs.org/developer/yi/), you mentioned that
you had first learned Haskell in 2001 from _The
Haskell School of Expression_ by Paul Hudak.  I also
tried studying that book, and found it very
interesting (especially with its focus on multimedia
examples), but unfortunately got stuck on an exercise
in Chapter 2 that required trigonometry, which I had
forgotten from lack of use and didn't have time to
review.  Also, I wanted to study it online, and had
purchased the book (and thus paid the licensing fee),
but was unable to find an online version.  Do you have
any suggestions for online books with the same flavor
that require less domain-specific knowledge;
alternatively, do you have any suggestions for online
material that precisely covers the domain-specific
knowledge assumed by that book?

Benjamin L. Russell