[Haskell-cafe] All equations must have the same arity - why?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Sun Jan 13 20:38:40 EST 2008

Neil Mitchell writes:

>  I quite like the idea of permitting equations to have different
> arities. It removes restrictions, makes things more regular etc.

More regular???
My goodness... Of course, it removes restrictions. But in the history of
humanity rarely the removal of restrictions made things more regular!
Sometimes it is useful, but not where it "for free" gives you more
opportunities to make bugs.

I wonder whether
f = g

and

f x = g x

attributes *always* the same type to both variants of f...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk