[Haskell-cafe] Re: All equations must have the same arity - why?

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Jan 13 19:15:34 EST 2008

"Neil Mitchell" <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> i.e. lift the arities to the longest argument list.
> Is there a reason this isn't done?
Most likely not, there are being made up right now.

f = sort.nub

is different from

f x = (\x -> sort.nub x)

f = sort.nub.id

f = sort.nub.id.id.id.id.id.id

, and such behaviour would confuse the hell out of me as well as
seriously hurt my sense of semantic aesthetics, even if it's just
no-ops. Or the same lambda term, which is exactly my point.

signature prohibited.