[Haskell-cafe] Why purely in haskell?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Jan 11 05:29:29 EST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, David Roundy wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:10:57PM +0000, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> > > I think the point is (should be) to mark functions unsafe when they
> > > may be unsafe to /use/,
> >
> > I think using the IO monad for this works well...
>
> Would you suggest moving head and tail into the IO monad?

I'm afraid we are talking about different notions of 'safe'. Modula-3's
'safe' means no "segmentation fault", but program abortion due to ASSERT
is still allowed. Ported to Haskell this means: 'head' and 'tail' are
safe, but not total. I've seen function definitions like 'safeHead', that
I would have named 'maybeHead'. For running untrusted code this means: I
think it is ok that the program aborts with an error or runs into an
infinite loop and must be terminated after a time-out, but it is not ok,
that it overwrites some memory area or deletes some files, because
unsafePerformIO was invoked.