[Haskell-cafe] confusion about 'instance'....

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 10 23:52:10 EST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 6:04 AM, Nicholls, Mark wrote:

> [...]

A type class *is* a set of types.  But, in Haskell, types like
(forall a. Num a => a) aren't quite first-class feeling.  A typical
example of an expression of this type might be (3 + 5), but if I say

x :: Double
x = 3 + 5

the compiler won't complain.

Furthermore, if the compiler sees

instance A Double where

somewhere in the code, when it sees foo (3 + 5), for some method foo
of the class, it may decide to take (3 + 5) :: Double, not (3 + 5) ::
forall a. Num a => a.  In that case, you'll get the wrong methods
called:

class A a where
   foo :: a -> String
instance A Double where
   foo x = "Double"
instance A (forall a. Num a => a) where
   foo x = "number"

If the compiler sees the first instance but not the second, then it
will think that foo (3 + 5) = "Double".  Adding the second will give
foo (3 + 5) = "number".  Haskell 98's rules for type classes are
chosen so that legal code never changes its meaning when you add an
instance (well, this is a bad example --- but the general point is
sound).  GHC relaxes these rules in quite a few cases, but in this
one it's easy enough (in GHC) to get a type isomorphic to forall a.
Num a => a that can be an instance of a type class that GHC hasn't
bothered relaxing this particular rule.  (And paying the subsequent
cost in confusion when working code bitrots because somebody added an
instance somewhere).

jcc