[Haskell-cafe] Re: Difference lists and ShowS

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Thu Jan 10 19:00:04 EST 2008

ajb at spamcop.net wrote:

> G'day all.
>
> Quoting Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de>:
>
> > But you really need one with 5 differently-sized blades plus three
> > spezialized carving blades, an USB stick, microscope, 13 kinds of
> > torx, imbus etc drivers each, a tv set (analogue/digital) with
> > unfoldable touchscreen, at least 3-band GSM and WiFi connectivity,
> > hydraulic car jack and chain saw to award it with the term
> > egg-laying woolmilkpig.
>
> So a better translation into British engineering language might be
> "Heath Robinson"?

Not really. To give you the perfect cs example, take a look at emacs:
eight megabytes and continuous swapping, a whole OS with any app and
library you could ever dream of, but not one decent editor.

See, on the one hand that beast is every farmer's dream, but then you
can't butcher the pig 'cos you want to have its milk, wool and eggs..

http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/creeping-featuritis.html
is the associated plague.

Outlook reminds me of it, too: I spend half a paid hour configuring it,
changing everything, from default message format to quote behaviour and
similar.

signature prohibited.