[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why purely in haskell?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Jan 10 14:35:30 EST 2008

David Roundy writes:

> It's unfortunate that there's no way to include strictness
> behavior in function types (at least that I'm aware of), so one has to rely
> on possibly-undocumented (and certainly never checked by a compiler)
> strictness behavior of many functions in order to write truly correct
> code.
>
> I wish there were a nice way around this issue (but can't really even
> imagine one).

I wonder not how to get around, but WHY we can't help the strictness
analyser in a way Clean permits, say:

add :: !Integer -> !Integer -> Integer

I thought it could be done without any serious revolution within the
compiler, but perhaps I am too naïve (which in general is true...)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk