[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Problems with Unicode Symbols as Infix Function Names in Propositional Calculus Haskell DSL

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:31:13 EST 2008

Cetin Sert wrote:
> I want to design a DSL in Haskell for propositional calculus. But
> instead of using natural language names for functions like or, and,
> implies etc. I want to use Unicode symbols as infix functions ¬, ˅, ˄,
> →, ↔ But I keep getting error messages from the GHC parser. Is there a
> way to make GHC parse my source files correctly? If it is not possible
> yet, please consider this as a “feature request”.

GHC supports unicode source files encoded using UTF-8 by default.  It
should be possible to use many unicode symbols for infix symbols.  Note
that when -XUnicodeSyntax is on, certain symbols have special meanings
(e.g. → means ->).

Without more information I can't tell exactly what problem you're
encountering.  If you supply the source code you're trying to compile, we
might be able to help.  Also, note that glasgow-haskell-users at haskell.org
is a better forum for GHC-specific issues.

Cheers,
	Simon