[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tim Sweeney (the gamer)

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Thu Jan 10 07:41:42 EST 2008

"Sebastian Sylvan" <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > For those who don't know him, Tim Sweeney is the main programmer
> > > behind Epic Games's popular Unreal Engine. When he talks, many
> > > game developers will listen.
> > >
> > We will dream, most likely.
> >
> > > Perhaps more importantly, anything he does
> > > will affect a large number of game developers.
> > >
> > Dreaming of pointy-haired bosses listening to him, that is.
> >
> I think he meant in the sense that the unreal engine has *lots* of
> licensees. If UnrealScript 4 is a Haskell-like language with lenient
> evaluation and limited dependent typing, etc., then that's what a
> large number of game developers will use in their day-to-day work.
Er, yes. Some gameplay programmers will, and also some level designers,
seen 3d-wise, that most likely means gfx guys, who would generally
rather work with some warm, fuzzy, graphical switch->event thingy. The
rest is still afaict left with C++ which gets linked into the engine.

You make less bugs with that language? Fucking learn to write C++!

I don't know how the UE is priced, but with the $10.000 that the
cheapest id engine cost as I looked it up you can develop a whole
game... CrystalSpace is sufficient for nearly everything one could want
to do, except maybe ahead-of-the-art graphic demos pushed into markets
by million-euro advertisement and game-mag-bribing budgets.

I don't think you would get even close to 1000 people who use
UnrealScript to earn their living.

signature prohibited.