[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: A triple of new packages for talking tothe outside world

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Wed Jan 9 20:40:35 EST 2008

David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> wrote:

> [ something that every C programmer dreams of ]

I'm not going to answer, I'd be just vapour-waring around.

But, yes, any-alignment any-granularity reads can be done in O(1), with
1 ranging from case to case from one instruction to a few shifts and
&'s, plus some constant cost to choose the appropriate function based
on current alignment, which could be set by things like snapToByte,
snapToWord, snapToInt128, getBit, getBits <num_bytes>, getByte,
GetWhatever and one state var to change the "advance mode" from
request-sized to constant-sized.

As I said, I'm vapour-waring.

But then it's a swiss army knife. With many general- and
special-purpose functions.

signature prohibited.