[Haskell-cafe] Re: Currying and Partial Evaluation

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Tue Jan 8 22:32:44 EST 2008

Derek Elkins <derek.a.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 03:37 +0100, Achim Schneider wrote:
> > Derek Elkins <derek.a.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, it is not.  This is partial application.  See the wiki page
> > > Neil referenced.
> > >
> > Which works because of the functions being curried...
>
> and therefore partial application can't be currying.  Currying is the
> operation of turning (a,b) -> c into a -> b -> c.  Nothing more.
>
> >  of course, the
> > usage is to "partly" apply a function, which is not possible, as all
> > Haskell functions are, by default, curried, and thus only have one
> > parameter, which can either be applied or not.
>
> Indeed.  Partial application is a fuzzy term.  I give a potential
> objective definition here:
> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/2266#comment-33620

Yes, it seems kind of obvious that eating a chicken isn't the same as
currying a chicken, but then there's a difference between eating
a grilled and a curried chicken... and cooking is always more complex
than eating. And you just can't have a curried chicken when there's
no one around that curries them.

So, currying can also be the operation of turning

(define (foo x y) (+ x y))

into

foo x y = x + y

or, mere syntactically,

foo x y = x + y

into

foo = \x -> \y -> x + y

> > Partial evaluation, OTOH, goes into the direction of laziness vs.
> > eagerness: Iff the compiler sees that a thunk is only dependent on
> > data known at compile-time, it may choose to evaluate this thunk
> > already at compile-time, if you're lucky and the compiler isn't
> > lazy,
>
> Partial evaluation has little to do with lazy v. eager evaluation.

Well, enough for a thunk to be a reasonable metaphor for a candidate
partial evaluation. The compiler is eager, so that the result is
memoized before it is used... or not, but then that may not be
deducible for the compiler. It's a bit like stop and go traffic.
"Opportunistic evaluation" probably fits the concept better than
"eager".

Can we stop nit-picking, please?

signature prohibited.