[Haskell-cafe] GHC's dynamic linker and Windows

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:57:35 EST 2008

On 2008.01.07 07:20:05 -0600, Austin Seipp <mad.one at gmail.com> scribbled 2.6K characters:
> > I recently tried the latest version of HS-PLUGINS, and it gave an error on
> > Windows. After a bit of Googling it seemed Conal Elliot had the same
> > problem. I reported this problem to the author. This is also (one of) the
> > reason why I could not get YI running on Windows.
>
> Currently I believe Conal is working on getting the latest hs-plugins to
> work on windows. It was recently updated to work with ghc 6.8.x (thanks
> Cale & co.) but there was no release as the aim is to get it working for
> 6.8 on both windows and linux before making an official release
> (currently it seems to be linux only, as I have the latest 1.1 installed
>  from the repo below.) The latest repo for hs-plugins for 6.8 can be found at
>
> http://code.haskell.org/~dons/code/hs-plugins
>
> I'm sure Conal and others would appreciate any patches to help move it
> along!

Ah. That explains it. I'd been annoyed for some time now that hs-plugins was broken for so long with 6.8.x, but I had been pulling from <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hs-plugins>.

It's probably worth noting that the first Google hit for 'hs-plugins' is Don's pages, and that points to the old Darcs repo, <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/hs-plugins/hs-plugins-Z-H-1.html#node_sec_1> ("Darcs repository of the latest code: darcs get --set-scripts-executable http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hs-plugins").

The second and third hits links to that page as well. Maybe the docs could be upgraded and the usual deprecation warning inserted in the old repo?

--
gwern
GSM Submarine E. 510 ddnp building y friends RDI JCET