[Haskell-cafe] Re: Quanta. Was: Wikipedia on first-class object

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Jan 6 16:59:30 EST 2008

ChrisK <haskell at list.mightyreason.com> wrote:

> "how the brain works" appears to be though electro- and bio-
> chemistry, which are best modeled/described right now by quantum
> mechanics.

Erm...

There is this story about some military (US afair) training a neural
net to detect tanks in images, I can't find the link right now.

It worked, with amazing 100% accuracy.

Then they threw another batch of images at the net.

It worked, with devastating 50% accuracy.

It turned out that in the first batch, all the pictures with tanks on
them were shot in sunny weather, all the pictures without tanks were
shot with cloudy sky.

It's kind of claiming to understand every single program that ever has
been written and ever will be written just because one understands
touring-complete language X in detail.

Or me claiming that I understand more than say 40% of what Jonathan
says, although I do understand English.

signature prohibited.