[Haskell-cafe] Concurrency questions

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 6 06:30:53 EST 2008

Just a couple of things I was wondering about...

1. Is there some way to assign a "priority" to Haskell threads? (The
behaviour I'd like is that high priority threads always run first, and
low priority threads potentially never run at all unless there's an
available processor which is completely idle.)

2. I have a situation where I have a thread generating some data and
putting it into a mutable array, and another thread trying to read that
data. Is there a way I can make the reader thread block if it tries to
read a cell that hasn't been computed yet, but not introduce too much
overhead for cells that have been filled in?

3. Would it be hard to make it so that the number of real threads (the
RTS +N flag) could be adjusted at runtime?