[Haskell-cafe] Refactoring status

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 13:57:10 EST 2008

Hi

> PS: IMHO I don't think text should be the source format of our files… I
> think we should use a standarized decorated AST as the source, from which we
> can derive a textual (but also graphical) view and editor… Any comments on
> that? J

Yes - I think you're wrong. I've seen non-textual editors for
programming languages, and they are severely unpleasant for all but
the most new beginners and restricted tasks.

There is a good chance that you can derive graphical views of source
code (call flow graphs, module dependencies etc) which perhaps could
be used to modify one particular sort of information in the code.
Other than that, I'd say text is going to remain the way forward.

Thanks

Neil