[Haskell-cafe] Re: [darcs-devel] announcing darcs 2.0.0pre2

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Jan 3 12:09:25 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:11:40AM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> David Roundy wrote:
> > Anyhow, could you retry this test with the above change in methodology, and
> > let me know if (a) the pull is still slow the first time and (b) if it's
> > much faster the second time (after the reverse unpull/pull)?
> I think I've done it in both directions now, and it got faster, but still
> much slower than darcs1:
> $ time darcs2 unpull --from-tag 2007-09-25 -a
> Finished unpulling.
> 58.68s real   50.64s user   6.36s system   97% darcs2 unpull --from-tag
> 2007-09-25 -a
> $ time darcs2 pull -a ../ghc-darcs2
> Pulling from "../ghc-darcs2"...
> Finished pulling and applying.
> 53.28s real   44.62s user   7.10s system   97% darcs2 pull -a ../ghc-darcs2
> This is still an order of magnitude slower than darcs1 for the same
> operation.  (these times are now on the local filesystem, BTW)

Is this with the latest darcs-unstable? I made some improvements shortly
before Christmas (or was it after Christmas?) that ought to improve the
speed of pulls dramatically.  We were doing O(N^2) operations in our
handling of "pending" changes, which I fixed (I think).  So I'll wait on
investigating this until you've confirmed which version this was tested
with.  And thanks for the testing!
David Roundy
Department of Physics
Oregon State University