[Haskell-cafe] cabal errors

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Feb 29 12:48:35 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 07:10:03AM -0500, Kristofer Buffington wrote:
> I installed ghc 6.8 from source and I've been installing packages from
> hackage.  I'm not sure when the problem started, but I've been getting
> this error trying to install any cabal package.. accept apparently,
> Cabal itself.
>
> Setup.hs:2:0:
>     Warning: Deprecated use of `defaultUserHooks'
>              (imported from Distribution.Simple):
>              Use simpleUserHooks or autoconfUserHooks
> Setup: /usr/local/lib/Cabal-1.3.6/ghc-6.8.2.20080225/HSCabal-1.3.6.o: unknown
> symbol `directoryzm1zi0zi0zi0_SystemziDirectory_a9_closure'
> Setup: exception :: GhcException

I've seen this too.  Have you somehow rebuilt directory-1.0.0.0 using
Cabal?  If so, the Cabal-built library exports different internal symbols
from the version built with ghc-6.8.2, even though it's the same source
compiled with the same version of GHC.  Any library built against the
earlier version will no longer work.