[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] GSoC 2008

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 19:13:19 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 23:39 +0100, Lemmih wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Malcolm Wallace
> >  <Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> >  > Google has today announced that they will be running their Summer of
> >  >  Code programme again this year.
> >  >     http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
> >  >
> >  >  haskell.org  has had many student projects funded by this programme, in
> >  >  2006 and 2007.  Would you like to participate?  Either as a student or
> >  >  a mentor?
> >
> >  I'd like to see a Unicode equivalent of ByteString and I'm willing to
> >  mentor someone who's willing to implement it.
>
> Doesn't compact-string support unicode?

Yes but not everyone agrees that it had the right interface. There was
an interesting discussion on #haskell a month or so ago on the question
of whether a string type should be parametrised by an encoding type or
not. John and I were amongst those of the view that it should not.

I also noted to John earlier that a MSc student I'm supervising is
expected to complete this project before the GSoC coding phase kicks off
so it's probably not the best choice for a GSoC project.

Duncan