[Haskell-cafe] derivation of mapP, a parallel, lazy map

Roberto Zunino zunino at di.unipi.it
Tue Feb 26 04:58:50 EST 2008

Dan Weston wrote:
> According to Lennart Augustsson
> (http://haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-July/029603.html) you
> can have uninterruptible threads in ghc. If a thread never allocates it
> will never be preempted.

I am aware of that. I think I heard GHC devs acknowledge that it is
indeed a bug, though. Of course, it occurs only in small examples, so it
is not in the urgent queue of bugs to be fixed.

> So I wonder if what you are proposing really is unsafe because by the
> time (take 1) is even invoked you might not regain control of the CPU
> being held hostage by parBuffer trying to evaluate undefined. After all,
> undefined can encompass non-halting calculations as well as abortive ones.
>
> In other words, undefined is not an exception (despite the error
> message). Converting it to a catchable exception is tantamount to
> pretending that the threading model is fully preemptive.

As it should be, IMO.

Note that other examples do show that exceptions raised in sparked
threads are ignored:

    undefined `par` x == x

even if x does perform allocations. Of course, if that undefined is
indeed demanded in the main thread, it will raise an exception.

Note that if you take my previous example and replace undefined with a
plain non-termination, say a well-behaved "allocating" one,
I still think that
    take 1 $ parBuffer 10 r0 (1:2:3:nonTerminating)
still should terminate, evaluating to 1.

The problem, I think, lies in parBuffer being more strict than needed.
The comments in the code claim

    parBuffer n r0 == id

when it is actually stricter than id, as I shown. This also means
there's a loss of parallelism: in

   parBuffer n strat . map f . parBuffer m strat

the second parBuffer will not output its results unless after m of them
are "ready", so the first parBuffer can not start applying f to them.

Zun.