[Haskell-cafe] haddock as a markdown preprocessor

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Thu Feb 21 19:54:59 EST 2008

I guess there was some confusion about the haddock-as-preprocessor idea.
Here's another try:

Pare the Haddock markup language down to very few markup directives, say
just 'foo' and "Foo.Bar".  (Of course, Haddock continues to read and process
type signatures and module import & export specs.)  Compose this slimmed
down Haddock with a more mainstream and powerful markup language/processor
like markdown/pandoc.  How to compose?  By having Haddock translate its
markdown extensions into markdown and pass through all the rest.

The goal redesigning for composability is that we get more for less.
Haddock can focus on its speciality, namely hyperlinked Haskell code
documentation, and pandoc on its, namely human-writable and -readable prose
with modern features (images, friendly hyperlinks, smart quotes & dashes,
footnotes, super- and subscripts, pretty math, bibliography-style link
specs, etc).  Haddock development can focus its resources on
Haskell-specific functionality, and we library writers can still use a
full-featured mark-up language.

I love Haddock's Haskell-smarts, and I love (extended) markdown's features
and usability.  Currently, I have to choose between them, and I'd rather get
both at once.

We can take this composability idea further and plug in other nifty tools
like hscolour and lhs2TeX.  And a new tool that hyperlinks and annotates
source code in a variety of ways.  For instance, hover over an identifier to
see its type and doc string in a pop-up, or click to jump to the source code
(also annotated with type, doc, and source links).  And other tools we
haven't yet thought of.

Cheers,  - Conal