[Haskell-cafe] Re: The Proliferation of List-Like Types

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Feb 20 22:57:30 EST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Chad Scherrer wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008 10:57 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For anyone looking into it - the StorableVector fusion would have to
> > be quite different from the current ByteString fusion framework.
> > Maybe it would be enough to lay down a Stream fusion framework for
> > StorableVectors.
>
> I must be missing something. Why would it have to be so different?

I think there can also be problems simply because the element type is no
longer fixed to Word8 but also not entirely free, but restricted to
Storable. E.g. you cannot simply replace
    SV.fromList . List.map f     by      SV.map f . SV.fromList
 because in the second form not only the result type of 'f' must be
Storable, but the input type of 'f' must be Storable, too.