[Haskell-cafe] The Proliferation of List-Like Types

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Feb 20 20:01:46 EST 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008 5:13:34 pm Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 08:39 -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > * The iconv library works only on lazy ByteStrings, and does not
> >    handle Strings or strict ByteStrings
>
> There is a very good reason for this. The right solution in this
> particular example is not to overload every internal string operation in
> the iconv lib (which would be far far too slow) but to convert to/from

I guess the first question here is: in general, why?

Let's say you were using something like ListLike (or StringLike, see below).
If a library used these operations exclusively, you could make it work on
most any type of list by simply changing your imports.  (Hide the regular
functions from Prelude, and import ListLike).  For types such as ByteStrings
or lists, that already have a very rich native implementation of these
functions, the native implementation is used.  You should be getting greater
compatibility essentially for free.  ListLike is an exhaustive mapping over
these native functions.  This would be great for anything from sort
algorithms to parsers, etc.  I even have a ListLikeIO typeclass[2] to
facilitate this. [2]

Now in your iconv case, you have a special case because you are doing
manipulation specifically upon 8-bit binary data.  It may not make sense for
you to support a [Char] or even a Char8 ByteString because it does not lend
itself to those very well.  You could, perhaps, support a [Word8] as well as
a ByteString when using ListLike.  That is, you may have a function like
this:

head :: ListLike full Word8 => full -> Word8

You could still use this with a ByteString at native speeds, and a [Word8] at
its native speed.

But this doesn't buy us the ability to use this library interchangably with a
Word8-based ByteString and a [Char].  That is a scenario ListLike is not
designed to help with.  ListLike is designed to make the container
interchangable, but does not address making the contents interchangable.

I think this is what you are pointing out?

> your favourite representation on the edge. So in this case those
> conversions would be pack/unpack or the similar equivalents for strict
> <-> lazy bytestrings.
>
> If we want it to be generic then we want a class of string like things
> that provides conversions only, not operations.
>
> For example we could export iconv as:
>
> iconv :: StringLike string => Encoding -> Encoding -> string -> string
> iconv to from = (convertStringRep :: Lazy.ByteString -> string)
>               . theRealIconv
>               . (convertStringRep :: string -> Lazy.ByteString)
>
> class StringLike string where
>
> convertStringRep :: (StringLike s1, StringLike s2) => s1 -> s2
> -- analogous to fromIntegral

ListLike has something along these lines, too: [1]

class StringLike s where
  toString :: s -> String
  fromString :: String -> s
  lines :: ListLike full s => s -> full
  words :: ListLike full s => s -> full
  unlines :: ListLike full s => full -> s
  unwords :: ListLike full s => full -> s

The last four functions are there as a way to provide a universal interface
to optimized native functions, where available.  The minimal complete
definition is just toString and fromString.

Technically, you could make every function look like:

iconv data = fromString . toString $ realIConv (fromString . toString $ data)

That can be made simpler for the programmer with a helper function, but is
not necessarily very efficient.  With an MPTC, we could do:

class StringConvertable s1 s2 where
	convertString :: s1 -> s2
	withString :: s1 -> (s2 -> a) -> a
	withString x func = func (convertString x)

	interactString :: s1 -> (s2 -> s2) -> s1
	interactString x func = convertString (func (convertString x)

which ought to make easy conversions (String to ByteString, for instance)
easily doable for a library such as iconv.  What do you think?

[1]
http://software.complete.org/listlike/static/doc/ListLike/Data-ListLike-String.html#t%3AStringLike

[2]
http://software.complete.org/listlike/static/doc/ListLike/Data-ListLike-IO.html