[Haskell-cafe] Re: Implementing fixed-sized vectors (using datatype algebra?)

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Wed Feb 20 05:26:17 EST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2008 09:20 schrieben Sie:
> OK I'll include the module after I change the things mentioned.
>
> BTW, I finally have an initial version of the parameterized-data package:
>
> Darcs repository:
>
> http://code.haskell.org/parameterized-data
>
> Haddock documentation:
>
> http://code.haskell.org/~fons/parameterized-data/doc/
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello Fons,

why do you use the term vector?  I’d say that this term is more or less wrong
for what this type is about.  The distinguishing property of vectors compared
to lists is that there is addition and scalar multiplication for vectors.
Being a list of fixed size is not so important for vectors, in fact, it’s
completely unnecessary.  Real numbers are vectors, functions from real
numbers to real numbers are vectors, matrixes are vectors—you just have to
provide them with proper addition and scalar multiplication.  The data type
you defined is a fixed size list.

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang