[Haskell-cafe] stream/bytestring questions

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 19:23:25 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 4:13 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Have you looked at the stream-fusion package on Hackage?
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/stream-
> fusion-0.1.1

Yeah, I've seen this. It's nice that this is separated, but a little
unsatisfying that the bytestring library reimplements it rather than
just requiring it as a dependency. This, and the fact that bytestrings
are way fast, while the stream-fusion stuff is sometimes slower than
just using lists, make me think that either (1) there's sometimes an
advantage in programming directly to streams, or (2) maybe more of the
stream functions need to be exposed in the API. Or maybe there's
another reason... that's part of my question.

Chad