[Haskell-cafe] stream/bytestring questions

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:53:18 EST 2008

ByteStrings have given a real performance boost to a lot of Haskell
applications, and I'm curious why some of the techniques aren't more
abstracted and widely available. If it's "because it's a big job",
that's certainly understandable, but maybe there's something I'm
overlooking that some of the abstractions aren't really desirable.

My first question is about the stream fusion. This seems (based on the
ByteString paper) to speed things up quite a lot, but for some reason
this isn't necessarily the case for lists. Is this just a matter of
the existing fusion for lists doing such a good job in many cases that
it's hard to beat? The streams paper suggests that some contructors
aren't optimized away during fusion, but wouldn't this also be a
problem for fusion in the bytestring context? Are there many cases
where it helps performance to program to streams directly, rather than
letting the rules go back and forth between them and lists? I tried to
do this, but kept getting hung up on the Unlifted stuff; it's not
exposed (pardon the pun) in the API, and I don't understand why the
types are different than the usual (), Either a b, (a,b), etc.

Second, the idea of representing a sequence as a lazy list of strict
arrays is very appealing. But why represent it so concretely? Wouldn't
it make sense to do something like

data ArrayList a i e = Empty | Chunk !(a i e) (ArrayList a i e)
?

Then array fusion could be written for IArray types in general, and
the ByteString library would become a set of instances with some
specialization pragmas. Presumably a more general StorableVector could
be represented as an IArray, and the NDP stuff seems a good fit too,
so this would make it easy to leverage future work. Seems to separate
the various concerns a little better, too, but again maybe there's a
performance issue I'm missing.

Sorry for the barrage of questions; I guess there's just a lot I'm
trying to understand better.

Thanks,
Chad