[Haskell-cafe] GHC + interactive input/output

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Feb 17 09:42:32 EST 2008

Hi Richard,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:37:27PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2008, at 2:29 pm, Philip Weaver wrote:
>
> >GHC certain *could* do this, but it's arguably not the right thing
> >to do.
>
> I have reminded the GHC maintainers before that the Haskell
> specification
> *REQUIRES* a Haskell system to support this;

["this" is flushing stdout when we read from stdin, if I have followed
correctly]

Can you please say where the report says this? I've just skimmed
    http://haskell.org/onlinereport/io.html
and didn't see it mentioned.

Also, if there's a GHC bug about this, can you please point me to it? A
quick search didn't find anything.

> there is an example that
> makes
> no sense whatever without it.

I'm not sure which example you're referring to, but the first example on
the above page
    21.10.1  Summing Two Numbers
starts off by doing
    hSetBuffering stdout NoBuffering
which implies to me that implementations are not expected to do the
flushing hack.

Thanks
Ian