[Haskell-cafe] Re: Doubting Haskell

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Feb 17 04:30:01 EST 2008

Alan Carter wrote:
> We now need to be able to do parallel with ease. Functional
> programming just got really important.

While this is a reason to have a look at Haskell, I think it's not the
best one. In fact, I think it's probably harmful to have parallelism as
single goal for learning Haskell: the language is very different from
imperative languages and if you "just want to do parallelism" but
otherwise stick to what you know, you'll have a really hard time.

> Eventually a 3 page
> introduction on the O'Reilly website together with a good document
> called "Haskell for C Programmers" got me to the point where I could
> access "Yet Another Haskell Tutorial", and I was away... for a bit.

IMHO, the easiest way to learn Haskell and to appreciate functional
programming is to learn it from a textbook :) The online tutorials are
nice but you'll have a much harder time with them.

I'd recommend Hutton's "Programming in Haskell" for the basics and
Bird's "Introduction to Functional Programming using Haskell" for the
functional style. See also

Of course, the textbooks (except "Real World Haskll" which is not done
yet) most likely don't cover the System.IO stuff, but you've got the
#haskell irc channel and the mailing list for that. So, the textbook
remark is in anticipation of the questions that you are going to have :)
(if you decide to pursue Haskell further, that is).