[Haskell-cafe] Re: Doubting Haskell

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 04:12:57 EST 2008

    apfelmus> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
    >> Left? Right?
    >>
    >> Hardly descriptive terms. Sounds like a sinister language to
    >> me.

    apfelmus> The mnemonics is that Right x is "right" in the sense of
    apfelmus> correct. So, the error case has to be Left err .

As I said, this is sinister (i.e. regarding left-handed people as
evil).

And left is not the opposite of correct. That would be incorrect.

Also, it is not clear to me that a failure to read a file (for
instance) is incorrect behaviour. If the file doesn't exist, then I
think it ought to be considered correct behaviour to fail to read the
file.

So Success and Failure seem to be much better. Certainly they make the
program far more readable to my eyes.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire