[Haskell-cafe] Doubting Haskell

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Sat Feb 16 20:04:53 EST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Philippa Cowderoy wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Alan Carter wrote:
>
>> I'm a Haskell newbie, and this post began as a scream for help.
>
> Extremely understandable - to be blunt, I don't really feel that
> Haskell
> is ready as a general-purpose production environment unless users are
> willing to invest considerably more than usual. Not only is it not as
> "batteries included" as one might like, sometimes it's necessary to
> build
> your own batteries!

Ironically, the simple task of reading a file is more work than I expect
precisely because I don't want to bother to handle exceptions.  I mean,
in some applications it's perfectly OK to let an exception go to the
top.

But in Haskell, you cannot read a file line by line without writing an
exception handler, because end of file is an exception!  as if a file
does
not normally have an end where the authors of these library functions
came from?

For the author of the original post ... can't make out what you actually
found and tried, so you should know about "catch" in the Prelude, the
basic exception handler.

	Donn Cave, donn at avvanta.com