[Haskell-cafe] Haskell project support and analysis on ohloh

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sat Feb 16 14:50:55 EST 2008

Recently ohloh.net added support for analysing haskell code.
You can see a range of Haskell projects analysed on ohloh here:

    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/search?q=haskell

Including:

    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11789?p=nhc98
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/6869?p=xmonad
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/4078?p=HUGS
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/6949?p=yi
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/10496?p=bytestring
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11766?p=parsec
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11779?p=mtl
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11729?p=binary
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11769?p=X11
    http://www.ohloh.net/projects/11790?p=array

Which gives rise to some fun 'reports' (and also helps non-Haskell
people notice that there are lots of Haskell projects, and developers
with experience):

xmonad:

    " Over the past twelve months, 34 developers contributed new code to
    xmonad.  This is one of the largest open-source teams in the world,
    and is in the top 2% of all project teams on Ohloh. "

nhc98:

    "nhc has a mature, well established code base. The first lines of
    source code were added to nhc98 in 1999. This is a relatively long
    time for an open source project to stay active, and can be a very
    good sign.

    A long source control history like this one shows that the project
    has enough merit to hold contributors's interest for a long time. It
    might indicate a mature and relatively bug-free code base, and can
    be a sign of an organized, dedicated development team. "

Now, they don't support analysing darcs repos, but the do support git,
and with darcs-to-git and darcs2git I've been able to (slowly) get a
bunch of repos into git form. You can find the git conversions here, if
you're interested:

    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/git/

(git clone http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/git/parsec for example).

GHC, base and lambdabot are still in the process of conversion.
If you want to do your own conversions, I suggest trying darcs2git
first, which is very fast. If that doesn't suceed, try darcs-to-git,
which is *much* slower (damn ruby), but seems to be more robust.
You can then register the resulting git repo for analysis.

The global language statistics, and individual Haskell statistics will
update in the next few hours, I suspect.

    http://www.ohloh.net/languages/38

Though at the time of writing they appear out of date.

Happy hacking.

-- Don