[Haskell-cafe] set terminology

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Fri Feb 15 17:59:52 EST 2008

To clarify the distinction between domain/corange as I understand common
usage:

For a total function, the domain and corange are equal. In the category
of sets, all functions are total (by definition of a function). If we
generalize to the category of CPOs by associating with every set an
extra value called "bottom" (as well as appropriate sums and products
containing bottom), and by expanding the concept of function to make use
of these bottoms for otherwise undefined mappings, then the domain
refers to the thing with the bottoms in it and the corange refers to the
largest set (i.e. no bottoms) in the domain whose image contains no
bottoms in it. So the corange may not be equal to the domain.

So, domain and codomain in Haskell are types (i.e. that include bottom).
Range, corange, preimage, and image are only sets that don't include a
bottom.

Also, a minor correction (after consulting Wikipedia [1]): For any given
subset of the range (called an image), there may be multiple subsets of
the corange that have this image (the corresponding inverse image). The
"preimage" (or complete inverse image) is the exactly one largest such
subset of the corange to have the given image.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_%28mathematics%29

Dan